Wednesday, June 15, 2005

They said it before

People have recently been piling on with the Tyson-hating. As someone who predicted his losses to Lennox Lewis and Holyfield, I've long been of the opinion that Tyson was not "the greatest", even though he probably is one of the best power-punchers of all time, by any measure. Here's an article from 5 years ago, where a guy was saying what so many folks are saying today.

"Iron Mike" definitely terrorized a great many tomato cans in his day, but you can make the case that he never beat a "great" heavyweight in their prime. The crazy man is a legend, but I still think that Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Vitali Klitschko, Bowe, or Louis in their prime would have beaten Tyson in his prime.

What do you guys think of these potential future Tyson bouts? Ya know he needs the payday.

Tyson v Golota?
Tyson v Holyfield?
Tyson v Bowe?

all would be bilateral career resurrection attempts and pathetic, but might be worth seeing for the history involved....just not worth paying for.

Too bad Marcellus Wallace was right about boxer's not having an old-timers' league....it could be fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heff said...

I was thinking this EXACT thing just the other day. And I don't care what ANYONE says - Tyson is too far in debt to "retire". I feel strongly he will fight again. Of the - possible - fights you listed, Here's how I think they'd end :

Tyson v Golota : This time the Foul Pole would triumph, as long as he didn't quit !

Tyson v Holyfield : I'm sorry - I think Tyson would clean his clock now. They've BOTH lost their skills, but Tyson (as always) can punch harder.

Tyson v Bowe : Tyson up against yet another fighter big than himself ? Please - Bowe would knock him out, probably within 3 rounds.

- Just my take - I'm often wrong.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home