Saturday, June 04, 2005

Mosely vs Estrada Rerun

After Hatton v Tszyu, I watched the rebroadcast of "Sugar" Shane Mosely's fight with David Estrada from April of this year. Estrada started off strong, but Mosely really hurt him with a liver punch near the end of round four, and took control, winning a unanimous decision in ten rounds.

Mosely came down in weight class for this fight (after Winky Wright handed him his ass twice in a row at 154lbs), and it was nice to see him do well. Mosely didn't look like his old self, but against a stalking clunker like Estrada, he did well enough to earn a convincing win. Estrada has some power, a good chin, but sloppy technique and too little speed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heff said...

Can't believe I didn't hear of this sooner, but how do you feel about Ruiz having his belt back, Paul ?

12:28 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Hell, I just assumed that you had. I first heard this just a few days after Toney handed him his ass.

I was surprised at how strongly Toney took the fight to Ruiz, and I guess now we know why.

Since Toney failed the 'roid test,he should have to forfeit his victory, which, unfortunately, means Ruiz gets to keep his belt. I suppose that's fair, even though I wish they'd find a way to disqualify Ruiz, too, and just leave the championship open for a fight between the top 2 contenders. I've always thought that Ruiz holding any belt (other than holding on to his father's belt for balance when fellating him)was bad for boxing. I don't doubt that he'll lose it and/or retire soon.

Mebbe he'll get stupid and go for a big payday against Tyson. That might be worth seeing, if Tyson makes short work of McBride this weekend, which is certainly not certain.

I would pay to watch a Ruiz-Vitali fight, just for the joy of watching big brother Klitschko make some guacamole out of Johnny Louise.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Heff said...

I agree. The Crying Man's days are NUMBERED. I honestly can't believe he's "lucked on" to a belt as long and as many times as he has.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home