Saturday, June 11, 2005

Is Shannon Briggs Finally Getting Serious?

Briggs won a third-round TKO over Abraham Okine last night. Briggs (42-4-1) knocked down Okine (14-1) twice in the first round and again in the third, at which point Okine's corner decided the meat was sufficiently tenderized. Okine did cut Briggs, who I'm still reluctant to think of as a contender, but Briggs had a convincing win that may well get him a big money fight in the near future. There are several fighters who could probably reap some career benefit with a victory over someone with such name recognition, even a guy known as such an underachiever.

Shannon Briggs as Lennox Lewis' Punching Bag, way back in 1998.

Briggs' last loss was in 2002 to big, strong, and slow, Jameel McCline, which I didn't see, but I have seen Briggs fight several times, including his KO loss to Lennox Lewis. I also saw his "draw" with Francois Botha, in which Briggs looked like a bum. Briggs has the tools, but hasn't shown dominance over a quality opponent. His "big win" over George "too old to bleed" Foreman wasn't even a unanimous decision. I read that he trains and promotes himself, mebbe that's part of his problem.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heff said...

I've never been a Lennox Lewis fan. I respect him because he does have skills - and he's HUGE, but for some reason he just never clicked with me, other than being a stuck-up asshole. I roared with laughter when Hasim Rahman nailed him, and I was hoping for the same outcome when he fought Iron Mike, much to my disappointment. I would LOVE for him to come out of retirement just long enough to fight Klitschko again, but I know that probably won't happen as I'm SURE Klitschko was a BIG part of his retiremnt decision.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

I think that Lennox Lewis, during his last few years, was the top fighter in the heavyweight division, but I don't think that he was ever dominant. Had it not been for "the cut", Vitali Klitschko appeared to be on a path to beat Lewis, and I certainly see why Lewis does not want to risk his legacy (and some brain damage) by coming out of retirement to face Vitali again.

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home