Saturday, December 17, 2005

What's Shakin' Here Lately...

Henry Akinwande is still fighting, and he won, defeating Ed Mahone to win the IBF intercontinental belt for the heavyweight division. I had all but forgotten about Akinwande. Hell, the only guys who've beat him are Lennox Lewis and an "in his prime" Oliver McCall. Henry's day may have passed, but I'm glad to see him put on a good showing. I just hope he gets out before he gets badly hurt.

Audley Harrison, the living embodiment of all that was wrong with Lennox Lewis, got beat down by Danny Williams last week (story here). I've seen Audley fight several times, and while he can certainly box (in the dancing around like a Bourbon Street transvestite manner), he has not impressed me at all.

Williams beat Harrison, even giving him his first career knock-down. Williams is a second-tier (maybe third-tier?) fighter who got lucky when an over-the-hill Mike Tyson hurt his knee. Lest we forget, Vitali Klitschko pounded Williams like a heavy bag, showing that Williams has chin and heart, but little else. With that he beat Harrison. I feel justified for my earlier pronouncements of Harrison's lack of merit.

Audley's statement here. At least he sounds like he's being a man about his defeat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home