Sunday, December 11, 2005

All is "Wright" With Winky's World

I thoroughly enjoyed Ronald "Winky" Wright's fight with "Smilin' Sam" Soliman.

Wright is a highly skilled fighter with an almost impenetrable defense. I loved the way he demolished the highly-favored Felix Trinidad earlier this year. Wright has alienated a lot of boxing promoters and fans with his style. Wright stays cool, fights methodically, and his style is the antithesis of the attacking that most fight fans are willing to pay to see.

Soliman showed a lot of heart, though his unorthodox, swarming style was not effective against Wright's superior defense. Soliman seemed to win the crowd over, and he gave Wright all that he wanted, with the last two rounds definitely belonging to the little Aussie grunt. It was hard not to root for the scrappy little guy (Soliman went into the ring 11 lbs lighter than Wright) but the better fighter prevailed with a unanimous decision.

Both fighters seemed to demonstrate good sportsmanship, and to me, that means a lot. Wright is definitely someone that I can, and will, continue to root for.

I predict that Wright will beat Jermain Taylor to take his belts sometime late next year.

As for Soliman, I expect that he will continue to get some good fights, at least until he gets mercilessly thrashed. I wouldn't be surprised to see him matched up with a Arturo Gatti-type fighter, as those sort of "brawl" fights draw in money.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heff said...

'Twas a good fight, I must admit.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home