Monday, October 02, 2006

Recovering.....

I'll admit to nearly having a stroke when the judges announced the split-decision in the Peter v Toney bout. To me, and the three folks with whom I watched the fight, Toney was the clear winner, and the scoring of the bout by two of the three judges appeared to be moronic or dishonest. My scorecard was very close to judge Gale Van Hoy's 112-115 dissenting decision. My companions' cards were very similar.

I found myself, more clearly than ever before, seeing why fans are flocking away from boxing towards MMA competitions. The variety of corruptions in management are one thing, but it is the pathetic and/or corrupt judging that is insulting, alienating and driving away both long-time and casual fans.

The pathetic boxing in the finale of "The Contender" also left me cold. If those guys represent the future of boxing, boxing has no future. I've been looking forward to some of the upcoming bouts, trying to re-kindle my love of the sweet science, but having a hard time doing it.

I was heartened, however by this news. It appears that the WBC is ordering a rematch between Toney and Peter, and while I'm still disgusted, I am (like a sucker) hopeful that this time the fight will be judged competently.

My continued support of what has been my favorite sport is on thin ice. I'll be watching the upcoming 'big fights', and I hope that I'm not disappointed again.

1 Comments:

Blogger James King said...

i enjoyed reading.
for more news. http://boxingsportnews.blogspot.com

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home