Friday, August 04, 2006

Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting!

Tomorrow night looks exciting. HBO's card with Ike Quartey and Vernon Forrest has an amazing undercard with Kassim Ouma to fight Sechew Powell, and Andre Berto, one of my favorites, is fighting grizzled veteran Roberta Valenzuela. I don't know if HBO will show both of these undercard fights, but either could be fun. Ouma is rebuilding after his loss of to Roman Karmazin (who later lost his title to Cory Spinks in a close decision), and has been doing well against tough competition. Powell is an up-and-coming fighter who has yet to beat a big a really big name, but he has made a lot of fans into believers, especially with his big, goofy win over Cornelius Bundrage.

Showtime's card also looks promising, with Juan Manuel Marquez fighting the unfortunately named Terdsak Jaandaeng. The formerly great Marquez is coming off a poor performance and loss to Chris John, while Terdsak has been doing well in his last six fights against, though against lesser competition. I expect Marquez will win, but the two fighters' styles could make for an interesting match-up. Terdsak throws some big bombsk, and it will be interesting to see if Marquez gets caught, or if he picks his opponent apart.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heff said...

It may be surprising to you,but I actually AGREED with the judges, believing Vernon Forrest won on points.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Initially, I was dumbfounded, but after watching the fight a second time, I can see how the judges arrived at their decision...but, with the point deduction, I had it scored 96-93 for Quartey the first time through. Watching the fight a second time, I juggled a few rounds, and I can see how the judges could have scored the fight 95-94 for Forrest.

Forrest looked to be a shadow of his former self, and my guess is that he hasn't fully recovered from his previous injuries. Quartey will probably get a rematch, as I don't imagine that Forrest's poor performance will land him a big-money fight against any of the beltholders.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Heff said...

You're probably right. Quartey will more than likely come out a little more furious in the second matchup. Although I think Forrest won closely on points from simply connecting shots, he'd be extremely lucky to do it again.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home