Sunday, July 03, 2005

Weekend of Action

On Friday night, George "not the washed-up drunken redneck singer" Khalid Jones won the vacant USBA light heavyweight belt when his fight went to the cards after a head-butt cut his opponent. Odd thing, all the judges scored the fight 88-83, though it was a split decision. I hate having judging in boxing. If you have to have someone tell you who won, it's not really a sport.

On the undercard, Courage "in name, not in nature" Tshabalalala quit on his stool to lose to journeyman Robert Wiggins. Courage looked to be in terrible conditioning, and fought like a bum, which reminded me of the way Foreman looked in "the rumble in the jungle" (which was aired last night, btw).

And of course, Samuel "the Nigerian Nightmare" Peter put a proper pummelling on Taurus Sykes , who lived up to his name. Of those of you who saw Alien Nation should remember this line:

Det. Samuel 'George' Francisco: It is like your name... Sykes. I'm sure it doesn't bother you at all that it sounds like "ss'ai k'ss," two words in my language which mean "excrement" and "cranium."

Peter has huge power, but did not look as if he knew boxing from beach volleyball (which wasn't really necessary to beat Sykes. Peter's calling for a big fight, and I'm looking forward to seeing him get it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heff said...

Me too. I don't know how well Peter would hold up against the "big names", but he nailed Sykes quicker than I thought he would. I also watched the re-broadcast of Gatti/Mayweather. Damn, that was sad. I actually couldn't believe they let it go through 6.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home