Friday, April 07, 2006

Mayweather v Judah Tonight!--and Update

Tonight is the night. Or at least, "a" night, as "Pretty Boy Floyd" Mayweather is slated to unleash a devastating "whupping" on "Super" Zab Judah, brought to the screen by HBO PPV.

Mayweather is the complete package of power, speed, skill, and "ring generalship". He has never lost a professional bout, and is considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the game today. His style is smart, combining an excellent defense with a multiple-shot combination-laden offense, that makes him incredibly dangerous.

Judah has shown flashes of greatness, but these have been interrupted by instances of mediocrity, most recently his loss to Carlos Baldomir. He probably has more power than Mayweather, but can't match his boxing skills. Plus, he's a rude, ungentlemanly punk. No way I can root for this guy.

UPDATE!!!

Mayweather beat Judah, winning by unanimous decision. In the first half of the fight, Judah did well, fighting Mayweather close, even landing pretty effectively at times. Mayweather began to accelerate, and Judah fade, starting in rounds five and six, though Judah would fight back in the closing seconds of each round. From round seven onward, Mayweather controlled the bout without question.

At the close of the tenth round, Zab Judah showed his true colors, throwing an obviously intentional low blow, then following with a hard punch to the exposed back of the defenseless Mayweather's head. This prompted a big brawl in the ring, as Mayweather's trainer (and uncle) charged into the ring, followed by members of each fighter's entourage.

After the ring was cleared, and Mayweather's trainer/uncle ejected, the fight continued. Mayweather played it safe, not appearing to go for the knockout.

I don't know if anybody else in welterweight class can give the "Pretty Boy" a serious threat, but I imagine that a fight with Ricky Hatton may well be in the works. That might well be an entertaining fight, and I'd probably spring for it, despite the certainty that Mayweather would win. I don't want to see Mayweather continue to go up in weight class until he is no longer effective, but I don't think that I'd like to watch him demolish fighters who simply cannot compete with him.

I enjoyed the fight, but it wasn't a great one. I don't resent the PPV fee, as I had some folks over, and we had a blast. I doubt that Mayweather will want to give Judah a re-match, and I don't think that many people would pay to see it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heff said...

I opted for the free replay on HBO this weekend. I hope Hatton/Mayweather is in the works. I personally AM NOT so sure Mayweather would win that one. Hatton is a small freight train.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home